**SPOILER ALERT! IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THIS BOOK PLEASE DO NOT CONTINUE READING THIS POST!**
Plot Summary: (Provided HERE by Wikipedia)
Sookie Stackhouse is a telepath who lives in a world where vampires have come out to the public and become legal citizens since the Japanese developed a synthetic blood. True Blood makes it possible for vampires to live in the open without the need to hunt humans for sustenance.
Sookie lives with her grandmother Adele Stackhouse and has an older brother Jason. Sookie falls in love with a vampire, a Civil War veteran named Bill Compton. Amazingly, vampires’ minds are ‘silent’ to Sookie, which is heaven for her as human minds are difficult to shut out and bombard her constantly with their thoughts. In his first visit, Sookie saves him from the Rattrays, who are vampire drainers. Bill returns the favor the next day when the Rattrays attack Sookie. In the meantime, there are several murders in Bon Temps, and people believe that Bill is behind the murders because many of the bodies have fang marks. The Bon Temps police suspect Sookie’s brother Jason and arrest him because he has been romantically linked to two of the victims. Sookie wants to help her brother and asks Bill to take her to a vampire bar called Fangtasia in nearby Shreveport. Fangtasia is owned by Eric Northman, a vampire sheriff who is much older and more powerful than Bill. Eric soon discovers that Sookie can be useful and orders Bill to have her use her telepathic ability to determine the identity of the person who has been stealing from his bar. Sookie finds out that Eric’s partner, Long Shadow, a vampire, has been stealing the money and she almost gets killed in the process. Eric saves Sookie’s life by staking Long Shadow when he attacks her. Back in Bon Temps, Sookie finds her grandmother Adele slaughtered in the kitchen. Bill, concerned with Eric’s power over him and Sookie, decides to improve his own position within their vampire hierarchy. He asks Bubba, a dim-witted vampire, to protect Sookie while he is gone. Sookie discovers that her boss, Sam is a shape-shifter when she lets a stray dog sleep beside her and finds a naked Sam in the morning. While Bill is gone, Sookie discovers that the murderer is her brother’s friend Rene Lenier. He almost kills her, but she fights back. Badly injured, Sookie wakes up in the hospital and finds Bill by her side. Bill tells Sookie that he has become his area’s investigator, working under Eric.
**Below are some questions that we highlighted during our re-read. Jen and I thought they’d be good starting points for today’s discussion. We want to hear all your thoughts so don’t feel like you have to stick to just these questions. This is a free-for-all so speak your mind and tell us what you’re thinking. PLEASE remember that this discussion might involve people who are reading the series for the first time so limit your comments to this book only. For all the re-readers in the house today we’d love for you to think back to when you first read Dead Until Dark and share your first impressions with us.**
- Why do you think Bill asks Sookie “what are you” three times at the beginning of the book?
- Were you surprised by Sookie’s grandmothers reaction to Bill?
- At the end of Chapter 3 Bill tells Sookie to ‘do him proud’. What do you think he meant by that? (Refer to page 95)
- Does anyone have any idea why Bill tells Sookie she’s naive or one of God’s fools? (Refer to page 114)
- Do you think Sookie was inside Bill’s mind when she was drinking his blood to boost her abilities? (Refer to page 197)
- Sookie somehow manages to get inside Eric’s mind. Do you think she was actually reading it or do you think there’s some other explanation for what’s happening? (Refer to page 202)
- What were your thoughts on Bubba when he makes his first appearance in the book? (Refer to page 236)
- Were you expecting Sam to be a shape-shifter? Did you have any other thoughts as to what Sam might be prior to him revealing his true form?
- What are your thoughts on Sookie’s Reaction to Sam’s reveal? (Refer to page 250)
- Now we know Rene was the crazy killer, but throughout the book who did you suspect and why?
- What are your thoughts on Eric sending Sookie flowers (page 286) and his “fly by” at the very end of the book (page 292)?
- What do you think Bill’s new job, as fifth area investigator, will entail (Refer to page 290)?
What questions did you have while reading Dead Until Dark?
He knows that women like a man who’s good to his family and also kind to the disabled, so hugging me is a double whammy of recommendation.
-Sookie referring to Jason (pg. 5)
“Oh,” I said, hearing the shock in my own voice, hardly knowing what I was saying. “I can’t hear you.” “Thank you!” the vampire said, moving his lips exaggeratedly.
-Sookie to Bill (pg. 11)
“You came out here to rescue me. It was brave,” he said in a voice so seductive it would have shivered DeeAnne right out of her red nylon panties.
-Sookie referring to Bill (pg. 12)
“Well, Mr. Lord of Darkness,” I said furiously…
-Sookie to Bill (pg. 93)
I could not comment on what he chose to do here, though I had a surprisingly vivid mental image of leaving a slap mark on this hussy’s pale, freckled cheek.
-Sookie referring to a fang-banger flirting with Bill (pg. 104)
What were some of your favorite quotes from Dead Until Dark?
Now go on and lets get to discussing; Questions, thoughts, opinions…anything goes!